Saturday, May 05, 2007

Transit man

As many of you may have noticed, we have left Wake and are steaming southwest for Guam. Four days to go. We are passing the time analyzing the data from Wake and are looking forward to even warmer waters to come. The data buoys off Guam were reading 83.6F this afternoon.

One of the more impressive data products we have been able to generate in the past few days is a rather nice bathymetric map of Wake created by Joyce Miller, Scott Ferguson, Jeremy Taylor and Paul Brown. Thinking many of you might be interested I'll post a small version here. This is what Wake looks like underwater down to nearly 4,000m (13,000 ft). Of particular interest, it looks like the mapping team may have found a new deep-water shipwreck, possibly a WWII era warship. I'll let them tell you more about that later.

With a little extra transit time I wanted to take a moment to thank the many readers of this blog for your comments and attention. I know there were a couple of days there when I had lagged in posting and you certainly let me know you um ... noticed ... the lack of information. It has also been fun to track the number of blog readers over time. I had no idea there would be so much interest. I am glad you have been reading (and hopefully enjoying) my posts. If there is anything you would like to see featured in future blog posts, please don't hesitate to let me know.

For now I think I will head to bed. See you all tomorrow...

1 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your writings and the amazing trip you are on. It is very educational and I would really appreciate more information about Amy and Stephane and making sure they are safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home